The Importance of Shock Treating (Oxidizing) the Pool Water


Oxidizers are used to shock the water and chemically destroy the organic contaminants introduced by bathers and the environment. Oxidation restores water clarity and eliminates the main cause of eye, skin and nose irritation.

Routine oxidation can often be overlooked as a part of pool maintenance.  Many times pool owners begin oxidation after the problem exists. However, a much better practice is to look at oxidation as a preventive rather than a cure.  This will not only save time and money but will prevent problems before they occur, thereby minimising pool owner  frustration.

Oxidizers restore water sparkle and comfort by destroying:

  1. Harmful swimmer wastes:  Non-filterable wastes such as perspiration, cosmetics, hair spray and urine which can accumulate in the pool water resulting in dull, flat water.
  2. Nitrogen (N):  Swimmer wastes contain nitrogen which ties up chlorine, forming unpleasant chloramines.  Chloramines cause “red eye” and have an unpleasant pungent odour. (Refer to the glossary under the “Expert Advice” tab)

BioGuard Oxidizer Options include:

Maintenance Oxidizers – Step 2 in our “3-Step Programme Approach to Pool Care”, - used to routinely oxidize the pool water on a weekly basis to prevent problems before they start.

BioGuard Lite 

Oxysheen – a chlorine free oxidizer

Problem Solving Oxidizers, used to satisfy a chlorine demand and aid algaecides in the destruction of algae.

Burn Out

Bio Chlor ‘Plus’